Friday, August 3, 2012

To Friends

I’ve decided that today is a friend day. So I’d like to dedicate this post to the people who have curiously decided to make me a best friend and give me a secure knowledge of their everlasting involvement in my life. Being as I am, I can count the number of my close friends on one hand. Large gatherings and group settings have never been an ideal friend-making situation, as my brain mysteriously likes to shut down when more than 5 people have directed their attention on my being.  Okay, okay it’s more like 3 people. Anyway, even though my circle is small, our closeness is not. I’m not naming names here but you know who you are ;) So I would just like to say, thank you for investing in my life, for consciously choosing to turn a “me” into a “we”, for making me laugh, think, and giving me a glimpse of the savior’s love through the bonds of friendship and camaraderie. 
 John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
To realize that the greatest friend we have is no less than God himself is a truly humbling gift. Our experiences with friends here on earth are one of the joys of life. And since no essay is complete without a C.S. Lewis quote:
“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”

So friends, thanks for giving my survival value.
Every time I take a moment to reflect on something in life, I end up being amazed and exhilarated all over again at God’s grace, love, and presence. Friendship is just another avenue to know Christ, just as nature reveals His majesty, animals showcase His creativity, and science demonstrates His brilliance. He is everywhere and in everything, and I pray that we never lose sight of his hand in all aspects of life. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;